The Hoyleton Lions refurbished and restored the Village Fire Bell housed at the Hoyleton Community Club. The 432 pound bell was sandblasted and painted to its original state. Eric Malick chaired the refurbishing committee. In a collaborative project, Keith Heseman had the bell brought to his farm as he had a sandblasting project in progress. When ready to paint, a cherry-picker was utilized providing an aerial work platform for Colin Heseman. Colin stepped to the plate and coated the bell inside and out replicating the original color. Eric recognized Bob Thorson and Butch Spenner for removing the bell from its perch for its trip to the Heseman Farm.
John Bassen is proud of the project. He brought the idea forward as his grandfather, Henry W.Reinkensmeyer, ensured the return of the bell to Hoyleton on July 10, 1983. The bell was first brought to Hoyleton in the mid to late 1800’s serving as an alarm bell from 1914 to 1948. The bell then served the congregation of the Bethel Methodist Church located east of Hoffman from 1948 to 1961. It then disappeared until its return in 1983. The plaque detailing the bell’s history was polished and buffed by John Bassen to complete the restoration.
The Hoyleton Community Club, together with the Lions Club will host a rededication ceremony on Friday, July 10, in conjunction with the Hoyleton Hofbraufest festivities.
Members of Zion United Church of Christ in Hoyleton will celebrate Holy Communion this next Sunday. Worship begins at 10 am and all are invited to participate in the service. Communion is open to all. The service is being held in the church’s Fellowship Hall.
The sermon title for the service will be “Going Where God Sends Us; Doing What God Sends Us To Do.” Using Scripture readings from Deuteronomy 18:15-20, and Mark 1:21-28, Pastor Howard Self helps us ponder the possibilities of doing God’s will in and for our lives.
February 1 brings the Super Bowl and will also be “CEREAL BOWL” at Zion. Everyone attending is asked to bring boxes of unopened breakfast cereal to be donated to the local Food Pantry.