It Happened HereMarch 11, 2015

It Happened Here

Eighty Years Ago

1935

In the Ashley District high school boys basketball tournament, Centralia demolished Okawville 113-9 and Oakdale lost to Sandoval 126-3.

Elliot Evilsizer and Ferd Speck filed as candidates for alderman in Nashville under the People’s Party ticket.

Burglars entered the Williamson Motor Co. and took $4.60.

Honor roll students at Nashville High School were Virginia Hassler, Melba Buhrman, Mildred Lorenz, Rose Bryan, Elmer Friemuth, Melba Hale, Marjorie Holston, Alvin Barkau, Dorothy Smith, Doris Meier, Harry Gorman and Esther Decker.

The market report showed country butter selling at 34 cents a pound and hens at 14 cents per pound.

Deaths: Ida Kugler of Okawville; Hermina Rauch; Harvey Maschhoff, 17, of Huegely; and Theodore Maschhoff of Hoyleton.

Seventy-Five Years Ago

1940

The White Way Cafe moved from the Schuerer building to the Ahlf building in Nashville.

Mrs. J.J. Coursey, a well known milliner, celebrated her 50th year in business.

Back’s Department Store featured men’s suits for Easter for $14.75.

J.D. Mann Jr. of Nashville played the leading male role in a student musical production presented by the University of Indiana.

Deaths: Mrs. W.S. Campbell of Nashville; Mrs. Andrew Paszkiewicz of Bolo Township; Christ Haake of Okawville; Louis Lammers of Stone Church; Mrs. J.H. Morgan, formerly of Okawville; Mrs. John Runze of Ashley; John Otto of Beaucoup; and the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Dan Pierjok of Round Prairie.

Seventy Years Ago

1945

Ralph Bartelsmeyer and Henry Holston were seeking re-election to the Nashville High School Board.

Laurel and Hardy were featured at the State Theatre in Nashville in “The Big Noise.”

Cpl. Leo Witt of Nashville was awarded the Bronze Star in Germany.

Cpl. Edwin Steinkamp of New Minden was released from a hospital in England after having been wounded in action.

Pvt. Lawrence Szramkowski wrote his parents that he had met his brother, Cpl. Leonard Szramkowski, in France.

T5 Bellmund Uphoff and Cpl. Farra Schlueter, cousins, met in Paris, France.

Tech Sgt. Arnold Witte of New Minden was wounded on Luzon.

Deaths: August Seibert of Richview; and John Brown of Wamac.

Sixty-Five Years Ago

1950

The City of Nashville took possession of the abandoned cemetery on East Main Street. The latest date the cemetery had been used for burial was the 1840s and the City determined no need to move bodies because all had deteriorated.

Mr. and Mrs. Charles Baldwin sold the Nashville Flower Shop to Mr. and Mrs. Jack Lane.

Alan Brandt was named most valuable player in the Tri-County Basketball Conference for the 1949-50 season.

The home occupied by Ted Kurwicki and family, southwest of Oakdale, was destroyed by fire.

Oexeman Motor Co. in Nashville advertised new Pontiacs for $1,736.

Washington County was to receive 20 miles of new electrical lines as a result of an REA loan to Tri-County Electric Cooperative.

Gilbert Hake of Hoyleton, Ted May of Nashville, Ed Kleeman of Beaucoup and Otto Doelling of Venedy were candidates for office of Supervisor of Assessments.

Ronald Reagan and Patricia Neal starred in the “The Hasty Heart” at the State Theatre in Nashville.

Deaths: Thomas Hubler of Chicago; Mrs. Fred Schilling of Okawville; Stanley Skorczewski of Du Bois; Hugh Berry Smith of Ashley; and Lydia Johnson Barnett of Scheller.

Sixty Years Ago

1955

Roy Cook sold the Nashville Freight Line to Clarence Reinkensmeyer of Addieville.

The open house at the new Nashville High School attracted a large crowd.

Former resident Major Ambrose Nugent was acquitted on charges of aiding the enemy while a prisoner of war for 38 months in Korea.

Announcement was made of the opening of the A and P Egg Station in Nashville.

Deaths: William Westerhold, a native of Nashville; William Kraus Sr. of Darmstadt; Mrs. C.L. Martin, formerly of Hoyleton; Emma Meyer, a native of Addieville; and Ella Robinson Jones, formerly of Elkton.

Fifty-Five Years Ago

1960

Dean Haege was awarded a $67,485 contract to build an addition to Nashville Grade School.

Edith Backs of Nashville, Gertrude Hogshead of Pilot Knob, Jack Lane and E.G. Machin of Nashville, Donald Holston of Beaucoup, W.K. Auld of Oakdale, Dominic Polczynski of Du Bois, Edward Sturgeon of Richview, and Arthur Dueker of Hoyleton were named to the first Board of Directors of Washington County Hospital.

Citizens of Du Bois Township filed a petition to detach from the new hospital district.

Deaths: Nettie Porter of Nashville; Henry Kottmeyer of Okawville; Mary Krueger of Nashville; Ida Bales of Ashley; William Reinkensmeyer of Hoyleton; Julius Koeneman of Nashville; Walter Czajkowski of Ashley; Rev. Almer Mueller of New Memphis; Meta McClanahan, 46, a native of Lively Grove; Gustav Halstenberg of Hoyleton; and Edward Schupp, formerly of Ashley.

Fifty Years Ago

1965

Nashville School District No. 49 completed its third major addition to the school, consisting of three large rooms and three smaller rooms.

Percy Peeck was honored for having completed 50 years as a member of the Masonic Lodge.

Dave McClintock took first place in the Jaycee bowling tournament with Arthur Beek Jr. placing second and Ed Hudspeth third.

Deaths: William Wessel, 75, of Nashville; Thomas McLean, 76, of Oakdale; William Finke, 88, of Nashville; Louis Sprehe, 71, of Posey; Paul Burnett, 49; Garfield Law, 84, of Nashville; Eula May Stricker, 82, of Okawville; Steve Jankowski, 70, formerly of Nashville; Mathilda Borgeding, 72, of Addieville; Rev. Karl Baumgart, 58, of Okawville; John Seibert, 72, of Pinckneyville; and Elsie Fortag, 63, of Centralia.

For More, Please Read The March 11 Edition Of The Nashville News.

Leave a Comment