NCHS Counselors’ Report
NCHS Counseling Office
End of Semester Reminders:
Semester exams are December 18, 21 and 22.
1. Students are to attend each exam period at the scheduled time appropriate to their classes. The exception to this would be students who have 7th period PE or study hall (last exam period – 3rd day). These students may obtain an off grounds permit for 7th period with prior parental permission only.
2. Students will remain in the classroom for the length of the exam period. Students should not be in the hallways for any reason during the exam periods.
3. Exams must be given during the scheduled time. Any deviation from this must be cleared by administration in advance.
4. The semester exam is worth 20% or 1/5 of the semester grade.
5. Exams are a course requirement. All students must take the semester exam to pass a class.
6. Each exam period will be 90 minutes in length.
7. Students are not allowed to leave the building during breaks.
8. Semester Exam Schedule:
a. Friday, December 18: Periods 1 and 2 exams
b. Monday, December 21: Periods 3, 4, 5, exams
c. Tuesday, December 22: Periods 6 and 7 exams
9. The second semester begins on Monday, January 4th.
ACT at NCHS: An ACT (without the writing portion) will be given for juniors at the high school on Tuesday, April 19th. This test is optional. The cost for students is $39.50. Interested students should sign up in the Counseling Office.
Kaskaskia Foundation Scholarships: The Foundation scholarship application is open and ready for students to start applying! Follow the link below to get started: https://apps.kaskaskia.edu Students will need to create a log in and after that it will take them to the same screen where they apply to be a student. On the right hand side is the scholarship application button. Students will need their KC id numbers for their application. The early application deadline is January 30th!
Scholarships: As we receive information on scholarships, they will posted on the Counseling Office webpage at: https://sites.google.com/a/nashville-k12.org/scholarships/
Financial Aid: Students and parents of seniors should start thinking about financial aid for college. Informative websites to check out are: studentportal.isac.org, collegecost.ed.gov, and www.FSAPubs.gov.
SICCM (Southern Illinois Collegiate Common Market) Open House: On Friday, December 11th SICCM (Southern Illinois Collegiate Common Market) will be holding their annual open house day. This gives students and parents the opportunity to visit the SICCM facility in Herrin, and learn more information about the programs that Kaskaskia College offers through their partnership with SICCM. These programs include Surgical Technology, Medical Laboratory Technology, Occupational Therapy Assistant, and Veterinary Technology. Kaskaskia College has reserved a time slot from 10:05 am till 11:25 am on this day for any interested students to go and tour the facility. They will be providing transportation from the main campus, to the facility in Herrin, and then back to KC. We will also provide lunch as well. Contact the Counseling Office for more information.
ACT Prep Classes: Listed below are various ACT prep classes being offered in our area to help students prepare for the ACT. Contact Mrs. Luessenheide or Mrs. Maschhoff for more specific information.
* Webster University – Two different one day workshops: January 16 and March 19 from 8:00 AM-2:30 PM. Cost is $50. Register online at: webster.edu/actworkshop
ACT Testing Dates: The next ACT test with open registration is February 6. Additional ACT testing dates for the year are April 9 and June 11. Registration is typically due 5 weeks before the testing date. Students may register at www.ACTStudent.org. Our high school code is 143-110.