Skip to content

The Dangers Of Radon

Did you know Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers?

Radon is a radioactive element that comes from the radioactive decay of uranium naturally found in the soil. Radon cannot be seen, smelt, or tasted. While Radon seems to be invisible its effect on your body is not. Radon’s adverse health effects do not occur quickly. A person may be exposed to Radon for years without even knowing it. The USEPA action level for radon is 4.0 picocuries per liter of air (pCi/L). When the Radon level in a home is 4.0 pCi/L it is estimated that there could be about 7 lung cancer deaths per 1000 persons. Therefore, if a person’s home measures 4.0 pCi/L or higher of Radon USEPA and IEMA recommends reducing this concentration.

The easiest way to know if you are at risk is to test your own home. Radon test kits are available for purchase at the Washington County Health Department for $10. If your home has high Radon levels the kit at the health departments comes with detailed instruction for follow-up actions.

Questions about the Radon Test Kits can be directed to Courtney at the Washington County Health Department at 618-327-3644. General Radon questions can be directed to the Radon Information Line (800) 325-1245.