Hunters in Illinois harvested a preliminary total of 54,452 deer during the first weekend of the Illinois Firearm Deer Season on Nov. 18-20. Hunters took 57,870 deer during the first firearm weekend in 2015.
The DNR lists Washington County as having 672 deer harvested during the first weekend of the 2016 firearm deer season, compared with 722 harvested in 2015.
Opening weekend firearms season totals for 2015 and 2016 in surrounding counties also tend towards slight drops in the numbers harvested between this year and last:
• Clinton: 2015, 427; 2016, 457
• Jefferson: 1,404 and 1,276
• Madison: 513 and 444
• Marion: 1,093 and 1,051
• Perry: 839, 814
• Randolph: 1,621 and 1,582
• St. Clair: 540 and 480
Illinois’ seven-day Firearm Deer Season will conclude on Dec. 1-4.
Other deer hunting opportunities in the weeks ahead include:
• Muzzleloader-Only Deer Season on Dec. 9-11;
• Late-Winter Antlerless-Only and CWD Deer Seasons (first segment) in select counties only on Dec. 29, 2016-Jan. 1, 2017;
• Late-Winter Antlerless-Only and CWD Deer Seasons (second segment) in select counties only on Jan. 13-15, 2017;
• Archery Deer Season continues through Jan. 15, 2017 (archery is closed Dec. 1-4 in counties open for Firearm Deer Season)
Reminder: A new rule allows hunters with a valid Illinois firearm deer permit to use archery equipment during firearm season on private land only; archery permits are not valid during the firearm season, except in those counties closed to firearm deer hunting.
For details on deer hunting, open counties, and other information, check the IDNR website at https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Pages/DeerHunting.aspx