Skip to content

Hornets Drop Opener To Waterloo

Matt Anderson puts up a contested shot during the Hornets overtime loss to Waterloo on November 21.

By Brent Huelsmann

The Nashville Hornets boys basketball team started the season with a loss, as they could not hold a big first quarter lead, and fell to Waterloo, 59-56, in overtime. It was the Hornets first game in the 2017 Inaugural Mascoutah Tip-Off Classic. The Hornets played their second game against Columbia on November 28. Nashville will finish out the tournament with a games against Wesclin on November 29, and Mascoutah on December 1.

The Hornets got off to a great start against Waterloo as Nashville rushed out to a 10-0 lead. The Hornets would lead by as many as 11 at 13-2 midway through the first quarter. Waterloo would battle back, cutting the Nashville lead to 17-8 after one quarter. In the first, the Hornets were led by Bryce Bultman who scored eight points.

Waterloo started the second quarter with a furious rally as they cut the Hornets lead to one point at 17-16. Nashville would stretch the lead back to five on two separate occasions in the second quarter, but each time was met with a Waterloo rally. As the buzzer sounded at halftime, the two teams were even at 25.

After the break, the Waterloo took their first lead of the game on a three pointer by Tre Wahlig. Nashville quickly tied the game, but the two teams would continue to go back and forth in the quarter. Neither team led by more than three points in the quarter. Waterloo closed the frame on a 5-0 run to take a 40-37 lead into the fourth.

In the fourth, Nashville found themselves playing from behind for most of the frame. The Hornets trailed by as many as four, midway through, but battled back to force overtime against the Bulldogs.

In the overtime period, Nashville quickly took a 48-46 lead, but could not hold on. Waterloo would tie the game at 48, and would never traill again. The Hornets would tie the game again at 50, but could never retake the lead. Waterloo led by as many as four, but a three by Matt Anderson cut the lead back to one with time winding down. After two free throws by the Bulldogs extended the lead to 57-54, Nashville would again cut the lead to one with 6.2 seconds remaining. A final shot by the Hornets was no good, as Waterloo pulled off the victory.

After the game, Hornets’ coach Wayne Harre was disappointed in the way his team played after getting a big lead. I think we shot real fast. To be honest with you we were playing a little too fast. When you’ve got a big lead there, you have to milk the clock a little bit. We didn’t do that. It’s a fine line you’ve got to play. I just thought our defense was awful. We can’t get anybody stopped one on one, and until we do that we’re going to have a hard time winning games.”

Bultman led Nashville with 14 points, followed by Jake Haley and Anderson who each had 13. Anderson also pulled down eight rebounds to lead the Hornets. Carson Parker added 10 points, while Brandon Schnitker finished with four points. Cameron Parker rounded out the scoring for Nashville with two points. Waterloo was led by Eli Dodd and Derek Smothers, both of which finished with 15 points.

Leave a Comment