It’s official – Relay for Life 2018 season is finally here!
Here are some things you need to know about Relay for Life (the American Cancer Society signature fundraising event):
• We are a no-nonsense group of volunteers who are completely, and utterly bound and determined to end cancer. Period. No other agenda, no side projects – just BEAT CANCER 24/7.
• Relay for Life raises about $300million around the world each and every year. The only group who spends more? The National Institutes of Health (federal government).
• The American Cancer Society can claim direct success in many areas of cancer treatment because of its huge amount of research. These include breast cancer (Tamoxifen), bone marrow transplant (Gleevec), colonoscopy screenings, PAP tests, childhood leukemia survival rates as high as 90%, HPV vaccination (which can eliminate some forms of cervical cancer), and so many others.
• This year’s event is Friday, May 11, 2018 at the Okawville Community Club. That’s right – OKAWVILLE! Changing things up is always a good thing and Okawville is eager to host this amazing event.
• Hands-down, the Luminaria Ceremony at Relay is the most emotional part of Relay for Life – don’t know what it is? Ask someone!
• Purple Bows and Luminarias in our county alone have dominated the Southern Region for the past decade (our volunteers are a.m.a.z.i.n.g!). They start to show up in local towns in late April so watch for the deadlines so you don’t miss out.
There are so many opportunities to serve – volunteer, start a team, sign up to walk. And if I were you, I’d start looking for a great pair of walking shoes because there’s going to be a lot of action in that park on Friday, May 11. (FYI: make sure they’re cute shoes, too, because when I’m kicking cancer’s butt, I like to look kinda stylish.)
See you there!
Need more info?
Facebook page “WashCo Relay Illinois”
Text 791-8214 and I’ll get you in touch with the right person.