Skip to content

City Releases Requirements For New ATV, UTV Ordinance To Take Effect This Spring

Updated to add clarification on age restriction.

By Leah Williams

Those looking to take to the streets this spring with newly approved vehicles will need to follow certain requirements, according to the city of Nashville.

The new ordinance, which was passed by the Nashville City Council earlier this year, allows the use of ATVs and UTVs on city streets as long as residents agree to heed to the city rules.

Permits are $50, and vehicles that need the annual permits also include golf carts. The permits will be issued out beginning March 1.

According to information from Nashville Police Chief Brian Fletcher, in order those who to be legally allowed to use the vehicles, residents must provide proof of liability insurance, a signed waiver of liability and a valid driver’s license. Permit holders and all operators of ATVs and UTVs are to be 21 years old or older to legally operate their vehicles.

The vehicles must be equipped with a horn, parking brake, tires, taillights, turn signals, front white reflectors and rear red reflectors, a “slow moving vehicle” emblem, brakes, a steering apparatus, headlights and seat belts.

Rules for a permit are as follows. The permit holder would have to be 21 years of age or older. They are only allowed to be operated between sunrise and 10 p.m.

All occupants are to wear proper safety restraints, with the exception of four wheelers.

The maximum speed for operation is 20 miles per hour regardless of the posted speed limit sign around the city.

The vehicles can only be operated on city streets, and they are not allowed on sidewalks or other unincorporated roadways.

Drivers are expected to obey all the rules of the road and other traffic laws.

The vehicles will only be allowed to cross State Routes 127 and 15 at four way intersections. All other uses on the state operated highways will be prohibited.

The implementation of this new ordinance, which was passed on Jan. 16, after months of deliberation among the council members.

One of the main talking points among the aldermen was the stiff penalties placed on those who violate the terms of the permit. The city may revoke the permit after an infraction, even if the permit owner is not driving the vehicle at the time the citation is issued.


  1. Anonymous on May 29, 2023 at 5:05 pm

    ATV, golf carts and other vehicles like these are such a nuisance. They are very loud, which is nuisance enough. However, they are also often used to recreate up and down the street. Moreover, they are such a pain and hazard to drive behind. My hope is that the council moves to re-ban them.

  2. Anonymous on February 5, 2022 at 2:47 pm

    This annoying guy rides his UTV up and down our street. It’s such a nuisance. I hope the council reconsiders this issue soon, moving to re-ban these types of vehicles.

  3. Anonymous on February 5, 2022 at 2:45 pm

    This annoying guy rides his UTV up and down our street and has a super loud motor. It’s such a nuisance. I would hope the council reconsiders this soon, moving to re-ban these vehicles.

  4. Anonymous on August 27, 2021 at 5:13 pm

    Our neighbors just got a ATV for their young children and ride it all day around their yard, is that legal?

    • Anonymous on September 18, 2021 at 6:23 pm

      If it’s their yard it’s legal

  5. Anonymous on February 22, 2021 at 8:09 pm

    These types of vehicles are super loud at night. They do not stop always stop at stop signs in our area and are a general nuisance.

  6. Terry Wyciskalla on February 20, 2020 at 11:39 am

    Based on what I just read, there is no place to cross Routes 127 and 15. The only 4-way stop intersection on either route is where they meet and one cannot operate these vehicles on the State Routes. Additionally, I hope they plan to beef up patrols. ATV’s and UTV’s are blasting down South Kaskaslia/Black Diamond Rd to South Washington St to High St and over to South Grand St/Road all the time at very late hours.

    • Zach on February 20, 2020 at 3:30 pm

      Terry, I believe they meant you can cross the highway only if the street you are on goes straight across. Can’t go down the highway.

      But, the state changed the statutes and you can now run on any non state controlled road so all the backroads are now legal as well. Slow moving vehicle sign is not required there. Actually it’s illegal to have a smv sign on an Atv or utv. They are not implements of husbandry and that’s what that sign is for

      • Kiefer on February 20, 2020 at 5:59 pm

        I’m not sure your above comment is correct regarding ATV/UTV operation on township or county roads. Could you provide a source?

        • Anonymous on July 3, 2020 at 9:18 pm

          I might have been wrong. I seen a house bill but after further research it’s been referred back to committee.

Leave a Comment