Gov. J.B. Pritzker announced at a press conference Friday afternoon the closing of Illinois schools beginning Tuesday, March 17, until the end of the month.
The two-week closure is an effort to curb the further spread of the corona virus. To date, there have been 32 confirmed cases in Illinois, and more than 1,600 cases in the US.
Nashville Middle School Superintendent Michael Brink said Friday morning before the announcement that it was the district’s hope that the announcement of closures would be made by the local communities.
“Our administration and our elected officials — our board — are perfectly capable of making decisions for the Nashville schools. We have major concerns if there is a mandatory closures and the extreme pressures that will be placed on parents and day care. We feel closing schools should be made on a local level.”
Brink said e-learning had been discussed among school officials as well as other ways to keep the education moving forward while making sure to comply with state regulations. He said the virus spread may “get worse before it gets better” but the district is prepared.
“We are probably in better shape than other districts because of the technology but it does raise the concern for the extra pressure on daycares and parents,” he said. “We simply want what’s best for our kids, and we will continue to do that.”
The coronavirus pandemic has caused the cancellation of several school field trips and athletic events. Pritzker announced on Thursday the cancellation of any public events in Illinois with more than 1,000 people in attendance.
The Nashville News will continue to update this post as more information becomes available.